December 26, 2003

i wanna talk about my xmas dinner for some reason, although i'm sure i'm not gonna be able to put into words the feel of the evening.

my mom and her boyfriend were hosting the xmas dinner, as usual. but they usually have two separate xmas "celebrations" - one with me on december 24th after their midnight mass; and another, a dinner with her boyfriend's girls and boyfriend + their (now) three kids.

but this year i was able to make it to the dinner so they prepared a big evening for us all.

i was the only one who didn't bring someone with him. it was me, my mom, her boyfriend, his oldest daughter with her boyfriend and their three kids, and his younger daughter and her new (even to her dad) boyfriend. but it was okay.

the daughter with the kids got there right after i did so we sat talking. or, i sat listening to my mom talking to them and made the occasional laugh. lol. we drank a bit. not too much because everyone was pretty much already partied out this year. the kids were kinda scared of me because the last time they'd seen me they were babies. now they looked to be about 5 and 6.

at some point their fear subsided and they started coming to me. then it was a full-on attack. we played hide and seek (me and the two kids. no one else got involved). i had fun. i hadn't played in years but i'd always loved it back then. it was fun but the younger one kept hiding with me and laughing under his breath. lol.

then we got to dinner, which was fun. i was pretty tired by this point, though.
oh, we got our gifts.

my mom and her boyfriend got me pj's and gave me a $300 cheque ... i was stunned. my mom says that's the same amount she gave me last year but i always thought they gave me around $120-150 at xmas. i was stunned :)

hmm.
oh yeah, and it snowed last night. big time. big lazy-ass snowflakes. they're the coolest. and i wasn't expecting any snow so that made it all the more cooler. temperatures are supposed to be warmer these days but i guess we dropped just under 0, enough to get some thick snow. nice.

by 8:30 everyone started leaving for another family gathering over at my mom's boyfriend's family so i got to come back home.

oh, and a final, perfect note -- i had Saint Etienne's Sound of Water to bookend my trip to and from my mom's xmas party. it's a nice album to listen to while driving back home through thick, falling snow on xmas day after a satisfying meal with "family". it was a nice way to end things.

Posted by Anonymous | 10:49 AM |