December 30, 2004

i'm now the proud owner of an harman/kardon DVD 22 :D

they had two boxes left high up on the shelves. $299. done.
also, i can try it out - Future Shop has a 30-day money-back guarantee, so i'm not scared of it not working out for me.
i got all nervous on my way there. i did do the right thing, though. i'll get the iPod in the coming year. i needed this more right now. i can't wait to plug it all up and check it out :)

i also had the two-disc set for John Cassavetes' Faces (The Criterion Collection) waiting for me in the mailbox, along with the Stars' Set Yourself on Fire from mymusic :)

also, today's the first day of a string of days off work for me.
so, yeah, today's a good day :)

| 6:47 pm |

the picture quality is stunning ... whoa.

of course i popped in The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers - Special Extended Edition to judge the quality, i had to, and it was gorgeous, breathtaking, but i'll also have to test it out with less stellar material to be able to judge just how much cleaner the picture is. at least i noticed it right away. a good sign :) amazing. another thing, and i totally forgot about this because i was wrapped up in thinking about being able to play dvd-/+rw discs -- there were more than a few discs my old JVC player wouldn't play (let alone get bogged down by minor scratches my PS2 could easily play through), most notably some of my dear Criterions -- The Last Temptation of Christ, Do the Right Thing, and Seven Samurai. i got all excited when i realized i'd be able to watch them on my system and not have to limit myself to playing them on my PS2 with the tv speakers serving as the audio output.

i started tweaking the picture a bit with the Digital Video Essentials disc but the advantage was clear from the start -- the picture is so clean, it's crazy.

what prompted me to want to upgrade my player was when i watched The Office on the ex-roommate's new-but-cheap Samsung player last week and seeing how clean it all looked compared to my (really good) 6 year-old JVC. that gave me the kick i needed. this (kinda cheap) purchase just pushed the idea of upgrading the tv by a few years, that's for sure.

Posted by Anonymous | 4:12 PM |