March 05, 2005

i was driving back from my ex-roommate's earlier today (also did my taxes at my mom's; thank you, canadian government :) i hope i get my cheque soon). i stopped on CBC Radio because they were playing this un-radio-like, indie, mellow song (which ended up being from the band Suicide. no idea who they were) that i definitely noticed. anyway, Sook-Yin Lee was talking to Don McKellar. he's always an interesting guest, so i listened. well, she asked McKellar about movies that'd had an impact on him. he actually mentioned a film he'd seen the night before (last night, actually. i just realized the show was live and not a repeat. ha). well, the movie was Jules Dassin's Rififi !! fuck me. i watched that film for the first time a year ago and fucking fell in love with it. he immediately had my full attention. Criterion released two other Dassin films last month, Thieves' Highway and Night and the City ... both of which are laying comfortably on my living room table right now, thanks to Zip and the wonders of Canada Post :) and the movie i was planning on watching tonight was Thieves' Highway. btw, McKellar went on about Rififi, even mentioning to original french title and talking about the coolness of the film, it's importance and it's style. i wanted to jump in the conversation with him!! i loved it. and it made me inch this close to clicking the Buy! button on my DVDPacific wishlist :)

Criterion officially reveals The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou on their website.

Posted by Anonymous | 6:53 PM |